Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Chapter 4



Standing at the full-length mirror, Stephanie smoothed the pink lace creation over her hips and adjusted the hook and eye closure at the back of her neck.  Jess came up behind her and held out a headband to her.  They had finally managed to get everyone out of the room so she could have a few quiet minutes with her sister. 

She took the slim, rose gold and crystal band and slid it into her hair for just a touch of sparkle on her head.  It was a near perfect match to the sparkle of the strappy sandals on her feet.

Standing side-by-side you couldn’t mistake the fact that Stephanie and Jess were sisters.  Both were blessed with dark, curly hair, though today Jess’s had been straightened and swept up into a pretty up do for the wedding.   Their features were similar, small pert noses, full lips, Jess’s features were slightly sharper where Stephanie’s were softer, more rounded.  Their eyes were the same almond shape, though Jess’s were a true dark, chocolate brown and Stephanie’s were the brown and green hazel that Richie liked to call witch-y or mermaid-y.   They both were also blessed with their father’s Italian olive skin tone. 

Jess stepped back to adjust the short tail/train at the back of Stephanie’s dress.  “You look amazing.  Are you ready to go down there and become the new Mrs. Richie Sambora?”  Jess shook her head, still finding it hard to believe her sister was marrying a world famous rock star.

Reading Jess’s mind, Stephanie grinned “I know, it’s crazy, right?!”  And, thinking of Richie waiting downstairs for her, Steph gave her hair one last toss before turning and taking her simple, hand-tied bouquet of pink orchids and white lilies.  “Let’s do this.”

At the top of the stairs they could hear the faint strains of the music David was playing.  She hadn’t asked him to play for them, hadn’t intended for any of the guys to do anything except be there to support her and Rich.  She should have known better.  The moment David found out they were getting married, he insisted on playing for them.  It wasn’t Alcock and Travers’ Trumpet Voluntary or even Mendelssohn’s traditional Wedding March, but she hadn’t wanted the largesse of those songs anyway.  So he had reworked both songs into a softer, gentler, jazzier combination that serenaded them as they walked down the stairs. 

They stopped just inside the French doors leading from the kitchen to the patio where Lily was waiting.  “Mama pretty!” she exclaimed.

Stephanie smiled at her pretty little princess.  “Thank you baby doll.”  She crouched down and pressed a kiss to one chubby cheek.  “You look beautiful too.”  She handed Lily a white basket with trailing pink ribbons.  “Do you remember what to do?”

She nodded her head, “I ‘member mama.”

Stephanie straightened the wreath of flowers and ribbons on her daughter’s head.  “Good girl.  And stay with Ava when you get to her.”

“’Kay mama.”  Her white, patent leather mary janes tapped incessantly as she danced in her excitement to do her job.

Stephanie stood and motioned to Jess, “okay, open the doors.”

Jess did as she was asked and took Lily’s hand, “come on dolly, we’re up.”

“Kay ‘tee” she stepped through the door with her aunt and dropped a tiny handful of pink rose petals before looking back at her mother, “bye mama.”

The warm champagne of Jess’s dress glistened in the waning daylight as she and Lily made their way across the patio.  When Stephanie could see that they had made it to the makeshift altar, she stepped through the door.  Her stomach was full of fluttering butterflies and her eyes shimmered as she made her way to where Richie stood waiting.  She blinked to clear her vision and a gentle smile spread across her face when her eyes found, held his.  The butterflies quieted in her stomach the closer she got and when he reached out and touched her hand a shot of electricity skittered up her arm like it had the first time they had ever touched.  Why had she put him off for so long?  Why had she doubted herself earlier?  This was absolutely the right decision.

Richie tugged on the hand he held and drew her in, kissing her lightly.  “You look amazing, sweetheart.”

Her smile grew and she pressed back from him.  “Thank you, but you’re getting ahead of yourself, aren’t you?”

He shrugged and smiled as he turned them to face the altar and the Minister.  “I haven’t seen you all day, I couldn’t wait.”

Their friends and family chuckled at his admission. 

As the sun sank lower in the sky, the twinkle lights came on and the caterers, unobtrusively as possible, lit candles and torches all around the transformed back yard.  The minister led them through the traditional ceremony, pausing when it came time for the vows to address the small crowd.  “Richard and Stephanie have chosen to write their own vows today.”  He turned back to the couple, “take each other’s hands.”  Richie and Stephanie turned to face each other and Richie took her small, slender hands in his.

When their eyes met, when their hands touch, everything around them fell away.  “Sweetheart” he started,

When I first met you, I honestly had no idea you were going to be this important to me.  I didn’t set out looking for love, but it found me when I met you and you have absolutely been the best thing,”  he paused, his gaze leaving hers to light on Ava and Lily before landing back on Stephanie, outside of my girls, that has ever happened to me.

I’m not perfect, I’ll annoy you, piss you off, say stupid things then take it all back, but you’ll never find anyone who cares or loves you more than me. 

I love you, sweetheart.  And nothing, nobody, not even time will change that.  I want to live the rest of my life making you happy and seeing your smile every day. 

Cupping her cheek he gently brushed away a tear with the pad of his thumb before continuing.

You are what I need in my life.  I want to wake up to this stunning face every day for the rest of forever.  I want to grow old with you and have a life full of love, laughter and naughty adventures.  

Stick with me darlin’, the best is yet to be.

Tugging a hand from his, she knuckled away a tear under her eye and smiled.  She took his hand once again and through a sheen of tears, her eyes found his. 

You’re cute, can I keep you? 

So focused on Richie, she didn’t hear, didn’t acknowledge the quiet laughter of their friends and family. 

The first time you hugged me, in the midst of a blackout, during a rain storm, all the broken pieces inside me started to fit back together. 

And I was scared.  Scared of you, of what you were making me feel.  But apparently my heart knew better, knew what it wanted.  So I listened.

Her lips trembled and her tears threatened to rain down her face.  She paused to compose herself and just held his gaze before giving his hands a gentle squeeze. 

Sometimes, you fall in love with the most unexpected person at the most unexpected time.  There are times that I look at you and wonder how I got so damn lucky twice in my life.

I just want to make you happy Rich, because you’re the
reason that I’m happy.  And I want to thank you.  Thank you for not giving up on me, on us, for loving me and thank you for being the reason I look forward to all of our tomorrows.

I promise to try and not be a neurotic pain in your ass, and I promise to still pinch your butt when we’re old and wrinkly.  But most of all, I promise to love you today, tomorrow and every day for the rest of forever.

Sniffing back tears she gave his hands one last squeeze before they turned, as one, back to face the minister.  They exchanged rings, and in short order they were pronounced husband and wife and the minister looked to Stephanie, “since he already kissed you, why don’t you go ahead and kiss your new husband?”

With a playful grin she gripped Richie’s lapels and pulled him close, “my turn” she chuckled before giving him a kiss full of love and laughter.

2 comments:

  1. How beautiful !!!, I loved your vows and the love you show to each other, excellent chapter!

    ReplyDelete